If you are passing North Berwick on Saturday 22nd March, please come and visit the Blethers display at the North Berwick Health Fair in St Andrew Blackadder Church Hall. I’ll have lots of information from Blethers and the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists as well as plenty of goodies to hand out on the day!
I’ve planned my display to include information about Speech & Language Therapy in both the NHS and private sectors. If you want to know more about what Speech & Language Therapy is, who we work with and how we work, please do come along and pick my brains! If you are thinking about Speech & Language Therapy as a career, pop along and pick up a Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists’ careers booklet. I’m on hand to answer any questions you may have about training and working as a Speech & Language Therapist.
If you would like to know more about charities & organisations that offer support with communication, I’ll have a range of leaflets and flyers from organisations like the National Autistic Society, iCan and the British Stammering Association for you to take away.
As well as handing out information, I’ll be offering a limited number of free speech screening assessments for children aged 4-7 throughout the day. If you are concerned about your child’s speech and would like some basic assessment and advice, bring him or her along to see me! I’ll have a sign up sheet which will operate on a first come-first served basis, so get along early if you would like to book a 20 minute slot! The speech screen will include:
- A short picture naming assessment (Diagnostic Evaluation of Articulation & Phonology).
- A picture description or play activity so that I can hear some connected speech
- Some informal assessment based on how the picture naming goes – things like copying speech sounds, discriminating between speech sounds and saying if 2 sounds are the same or different.
- A brief summary report of your child’s strengths & weaknesses for you to take away.
- Written advice to help you to support your child with any areas of difficulty we identify.
- If necessary, referral to the NHS speech & language therapy team or you are always welcome to book sessions with Blethers if you prefer.
Do pop along and say hi!